Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sneak-Thief: Building a DIY Hardware Sequencer



LivePA artist Sneak-Thief is quite the custom DIY hardware guru. He has built several custom machines including an ASM-2 modular synth and a Nord Micro Modular inside a Yamaha RS7000.

Well this time he is out to build a custom hardware midi sequencer based off of the Midibox specifications, but using a custom OS which will allow up to 256 measure patterns. Sneak plans to put up a building journal so I will post information to that when it is avaliable. Below is the info.


Basically, I need something lighter to replace my ageing RM1x. To recap, I currently use the RM1x to sequence Kontakt 2 which is loaded with 6gb of my home-made loops and samples. The pots control various effects and scripts in Kontakt.
I'm in the process of developing a very simple pattern sequencer that supports up to 256-measure long tracks. I'm going to use the Midibox as my platform and write everything in C (no I can't use the Midibox Sequencer because it's much easier to start from scratch)

Here are the specifications:
1. 2 independent sequencers, one of which can be slaved to the other.
2. Each sequencer will be able to load one "song" at a time. A song is chosen by the push-button rotary encoder.
3. 16 sections per song
4. 6 tracks per section that can be muted or unmuted with the track-mute buttons (more than 6 tracks could be implemented, but that's all I need)
5. 256 measures per track - this is where this really differs from the Midibox Seq
4. Components

Midibox modules:
2x Cores
2x AIN
2x DIN
2x DOUT

The total cost is roughly 180 euro (~$235 US). You can save 20 euro by getting LCD's instead of PLED's - but PLED's look so fucking nice. I've already ordered everything and the hardware should be finished next month. Then comes the hard part I'll be posting build pics next month.

cheers,
michel

No comments: